[ELDK] Ubuntu 8.04 and ELDK 4.1

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Jul 3 18:52:44 CEST 2008

Hi Stefano,

> Scott Schlegel wrote:
>> The copy of Ubuntu that initially installed was -16 and this was able to
>> successfully install ELDK.  After I installed ELDK, I updated to -19 and
>> ELDK continued to work correctly.  If I updated directly to -19 after
>> installing Ubuntu, then I would get the ELDK installation hanging when
>> trying to install gawk.
>
> I have found that the problem is related to the rpm version that is
> delivered with ELDK 4.1.

Well, let's lighten this and say the problem is in the combination of
the rpm tool and the Linux kernel.  If only the rpm tool was at fault
changing the kernel would not make any difference...

> In fact, strace shows that rpm stucks in the futex system call.

Yep, no news here ;)

> However, there is no problem installing ELDK 4.2 (ppc) on Ubuntu 8.04.
> ELDK 4.2 has a sligtly newer rpm tool (4.4.2-46 instead of 4.4.1-21). I
> confess I have not checked the rpm sources but I have only compared and
> tested the two releases.
>
> Because this is part of the cross tools, it is possible to substitute
> the rpm tool (rpm-4.4.1-21_5.i386.rpm, rpm-build-4.4.1-21_5.i386.rpm,
> rpm-devel-4.4.1-21_5.i386.rpm) with the versions delivered with ELDK-4.2
> (rpm-4.4.2-46.i386.rpm, rpm-build-4.4.2-46.i386.rpm and
> rpm-devel-4.4.2-46.i386.rpm). This is what I did, changing
> etc/rpm_cross.list to reflect the new versions. With these changes, the
> installation is successful ;).

Ouch.  Just for the records, this is no offical way to solve the problem
;)  But thanks for providing an "emergency exit".

Cheers
  Detlev

--
You are God.  Remember?