[ELDK] Want to build a ebc.ko object

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 21 00:31:44 CET 2008

Dear John,

in message <B9639434CFA424438117913649CDB78704D005F8 at MA_EXCHANGE.corp.sds.l-3com.com> you wrote:

> I have the Kilauea evaluation board with the following pieces of
> I am most interested in being able to create from source code the uImage
> file (or if you like the kernel.img).  What I do not understand is which
> target packages are used to build uImage, lets say
> uImage-2.6.25-rc-01207-g66b3fa2.

I think you mean uImage-2.6.25-rc5-01207-g66b3fa2

The image name has the following meaning:

uImage :
	U-Boot (Linux kernel) Image

2.6.25-rc5 :
	The source code used to build this image was based on the
	2.6.25-rc5 kernel version.

01207 :
	1207 commits (yes, that's an awful lot) have been checked in
	into the repository since the '2.6.25-rc5' version.

g66b3fa2 :
	The specific git commit id of the source tree was 66b3fa2

Please see "man git-describe" for a more detailed description of the
format.

> Should I just perform the following command?
>
> git clone http://www.denx.de/git/linuxppc_2_6_denx.git linuxppc_2_6_denx

This tree doesn't exist. You mean linux-2.6-denx, i.e.

	$ git-clone git://www.denx.de/git/linux-2.6-denx.git linux-2.6-denx

To check out the very same version as was used to build the image
above, then run:

	$ cd linux-2.6-denx
	$ git-checkout 66b3fa2

You can also check that commit ID, for example like this:

	$ git-show 66b3fa2
	commit 66b3fa2ea01d8f69a536cd6741ae4c22063bd376
	Merge: 07f5bb2... 93d7446...
	Author: Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>
	Date:   Thu Mar 13 09:38:47 2008 +0100

	    Merge branch 'master' of /home/git/linux-2.6

> Then follow the DULG manual, section 6.2 instructions to build the
> kernel?

Right. Assuming you have set your PATH, do:

	$ CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx-
	$ export CROSS_COMPILE
	$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- kilauea_defconfig
	$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx- -j3 uImage

> >I'm pretty certain that you do *not* want to rebuild  the  ELDK  from
> >scratch.  It may  be a very educational procedure, but it is a time-
> >consuming process and usually considered a major PITA.
>
> It was not my first choice. The git for the tarballs has been running
> all day so far.

Yes, it's a huge repository. Believe me, you normally don't want to
see all of this.

> I am currently using fedora core 6 as my build host.

I don't think you will have a quick and easy build, then.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Nothing is easier than to denounce  the  evildoer;  nothing  is  more
difficult than to understand him.                 - Fyodor Dostoevski