[ELDK] ATA over Ethernet (AoE) Root Partition?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 1 10:28:47 CEST 2008

Dear Jason,

in message <8f9e78f00810010104y2db45e36n153c6349331cf31e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Wondering if anybody on this list has successfully booted GNU/Linux
> from an AoE root-mounted file system?

I haven't, but ...

> Seems like this would be preferable to using NFS during development as
> AoE should be the more efficient protocol.

... I would like to ask what makes you think that would be more
efficient than NFS? The overhead for (UDP based) NFS is pretty low -
just have a look at the code in net/nfs.c.

> Don't see any examples in the U-boot documentation referring to AoE, however.

In U-Boot? There is no AoE support in U-Boot, yet. But patches are
welcome :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How much net work could a network work, if a network could net work?