[ELDK] Starting SELF image from scratch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 1 13:37:12 CEST 2008

Dear Amir,

In message <512de7bf0810010413n6f9a04bdj5cead8d5239e8c0b at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I never did see a clear posting on this issue.

Maybe because you never asked a clear question?

> I am facing exactly the same question, I would like to add a package into
> the stock SELF rootfs .

Given the fact that the SELF root file system is not  package  based,
adding  a package makes little sense. You always add individual files
(and this makes perfect sense for an embedded system, because usually
"packages" like RPMs contain a  lot  of  stuff  (like  manual  pages,
/usr/share/doc/ files etc.) that you definitielky don't want nor need
in your target file system).

> What is the proper procedure ?? I too know how to generate the proper
> filesystem image, but I am not sure how to add the proper fileset for a
> given package.

You select the individual files you need  in  your  target,  and  add
these to the eroot file system.

If you have a simple "package" with only a few files, then this is
easy.

If you have a complex "package" with tons of files,  then  this  will
require  some  work,  but  it is necessary work because most of these
tons of files are not needed on your target.

If you don;t care, just copy everything, but be aware that  you  lose
lots  of  space and you may have to solve dependencies as well, which
often causes more tons of stuff needs to be added. The end  rsult  is
the  typical  60  MB  file  system  where  equivalent function can be
provided by a 4 MB one.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve. Success  is  also
easy  to  handle:  you've  solved  the  wrong  problem.  Work hard to
improve.