[ELDK] ATA over Ethernet (AoE) Root Partition?

Jason Hanna jason.m.hanna.at.coincident at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 22:19:30 CEST 2008

>>> Don't see any examples in the U-boot documentation referring to AoE, however.
>>
>> In U-Boot? There is no AoE support in U-Boot, yet. But patches are
>> welcome :-)

Hi Wolfgang,

Actually doesn't take much at all. Support for AoE is in the kernel so
it seems no modifications are not necessary for U-Boot.

I think there is probably a better (faster) way to start the system,
but with ATA_OVER_ETH compiled into my kernel - all I need to do is
set root=/dev/etherd/eX.XpX and rootwait in my kernel command line and
the system will wait until my AoE device is discovered.

I'm up and running! Kilauea board with a cross-compiled GNU/Linux
2.6.26-5 kernel root-mounting its drive via ATA over Ethernet. Debian
Lenny installed and OpenJDK 6 running and compiling Java!

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep everyone posted as I find time to
do some benchmarking.

Regards,
-jmh