[ELDK] FDT Fattenned Device tree for kilauea

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 14 21:04:31 CEST 2008

Dear Sylvain,

In message <1E2B849CC9AB394DBEC29714EBD02F503C22DC at mtlms3.Co.Corp.VerintSystems.com> you wrote:

> I am working on on the Kilauea eval board (in fact is daughter Haleakala
>  eval board with 405exr).  I am using the denx 4.2 ELDK with kernel 2.6.24
>  and uBoot 1.3.0.  I want to know if the flattened device tree blob is
>  needed with this configuration?  If yes, what could be the impact to not
>  have it during boot process?

The old 2.6.24 kernel tree supports the  Kilauea  board  both  in  an
(old,   deprecated)  arch/ppc  configuration  (which  does  not  know
anything about device trees and thus needs none), and in  the  newer,
recommended arch/powerpc configuration which needs a device tree.

When a device tree is needed but not provided, Linux will  just  hang
when  you  are trying to boot, usually without even printing a single
character to the console.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching  should,  therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offense.                   - E. W. Dijkstra