[ELDK] pcap library and tcpdump in ELDK

Dave Rensberger David.Rensberger at ambientcorp.com
Mon Oct 20 18:22:57 CEST 2008

Are the instructions on
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKRebuildingComponents
still valid?

Whenever I do this, the rpmbuild succeeds in producing binary rpms in
the ppc/ directory, but if I inspect the resultant libraries with
readelf, it says that they're actually x86 binaries.   During the build
process, it appears that my system compiler, rather than the
cross-compiler is being called.

I also get a weird error when installing the binary RPM:

My-host> ${CROSS_COMPILE}rpm -i
usr/src/denx/RPMS/ppc/libpcap-ppc_4xx-0.9.8-2.ppc.rpm
/sbin/ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~:
Permission denied
error: %post(libpcap-ppc_4xx-0.9.8-2.ppc) scriptlet failed, exit status
1

It seems like something isn't fully aware of the cross-compilation
environment.   I have the "CROSS_COMPILE" variable set and the directory
containing the denx toolchain is first in my path (did this via the
eldk_init script).  Do I need to additionally set "CC" or something (I
tried this once, and it made some other problems).

--Dave