No subject

Fri Jan 23 11:48:37 CET 2009

work, and I think that ppc_85xxDP might also work (and give me much
better floating-point performance, which is of some value in my
current project).

However, I'm confused by the wording in the FAQ:

  http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKSupportedTargetArchitectures

    * ppc_85xx = MPC85xx processors (without FPU, but with a SPE)

    * ppc_85xxDP = MPC8544 and similar processors using a e500v2 core
      (without FPU, but with a V.2 SPE); this includes the P10xx and
      P20xx QorIQ processors, too.

Compared to something that Kumar Gala posted last December
(2009-12-03):

  http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/eldk/2009-December/001153.html

    DP means dual precision.  Meaning support for the embedded double
    precision floating point instructions.

Looking at the MPC8545E documentation, it claims to have a
floating-point APU:

  http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8545E

    * MPC8545E imaging processor - [...] The MPC8545E also offers
      double precision floating point, a capability that makes this
      device a high-performance processing solution for a wide range
      of imaging applications.

So, is this the "no FPU but SPE" case as described in the FAQ?  Or are
these the same "embedded double precision floating point instructions"
that Kumar mentions?  Or is it something different?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Tony

p.s. Yes, I'm about to experiment and see which works (if either), and
     if the DP variant works, if it's noticably faster.  But I'd still
     like to get a firm grasp of the concepts and mechanisms in my
     head.