[ELDK] How to Enable USB and SATA HDs on Kilauea Board Running Linux 2.6.29.4/ELDK 4.2?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jun 17 15:08:11 CEST 2009

Hi Joe,

> Can someone tell me how to make the hard-drives work?

Isn't this a "little generic" question?  I'm inclined to answer "do the
right thing" ;)

> HW -- With my Kilauea board, I have a hard-driver connected to a SATAT
> || daughter board plugged in one of the PCIe slots on the board;  and
> I aslo have a USB external hard-drive connected to the mini-USB
> connector on the board.
>
> SW -- I built kernel of Linux-2.6-DENX (2.6.29.4)  with ELDK 4.2.
>
> What are the kernel options I have to turn on?

For sata you'll of course need a driver for your controller.  Look in
"Device Drivers" -> "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental)
drivers".

USB is a different story.  The driver from Synopsys for the otg
controller is _not_ in mainline as it is not up to regular Linux coding
standards.  However we did integrate it (but do not maintain it) at one
point into our DENX branches of our repository.  Due to being
non-maintained, I doubt that it works in recent versions of the Linux
kernel.

If I understand you correctly, then you are using DENX-v2.6.29.4 tag,
correct?  As I said, it would be surprising if the driver works at all
anymore.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.