[ELDK] ELDK, UCLIBC, and C++ exceptions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 28 16:07:36 CET 2009

Dear "J.T. Conklin",

In message <6c5c8a400903280609w7a36f897l670440d0b8d9c969 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Now that I've got past problems enabling IPv6 in ELDK 4.1 (using
> uClibc) on my ppc_85xx target, I ran into another where C++ exceptions
> result in an abort().
>
> Does anyone know whether this problem exists with ELDK 4.2 when
> configured/built with uClibc?  Based on what little investigation I've
> done so far, upgrading may be an easier option than fixing ELDK 4.1's
> gcc configuration to get exception unwinding working.

Using uCLibc with C++ is a combo that kind of asks for trouble.
libstdc++ is very tighly coupled to glibc.

> Unfortunately, using ELDK's glibc version (where I've confirmed
> exceptions work) is a difficult option to consider now because its
> additional footprint takes me over my flash budget and I have third
> party objects that were built against uclibc.

You have a serious problem if you build a  new  system,  and  already
during  design  it  turns out that the 800 k difference between glibc
and uClibc are critical. Your software will grow, and you will have to
add patches and fixes later. All of them require more space.

Fix your design. Add more flash, or use other media for program storage.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing,
after all, as "wanting."  It is not logical, but it is often true.
	-- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7