[ELDK] Unable to boot Linux Kernel 2.6.24 into MPC5200 (lite5200b)

Peter Kunnemann ITB itb.pkue at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:02:12 CEST 2010

Wolfgang,
thank you for your response. I had something else to complete
so this message comes somewhat late.

I am sorry, that happened accidently, will remember in future

> >> You need to build a flat device tree blob as well. With recent
> kernel
> >> version just type:
> >>
> >>   $ make lite5200b.dtb
> > This did not work at all but there seem to be an make option
> CONFIG_DEVICE_TREE
> > that accepts the file name you mentioned.
>
> I wrote "with a recent kernel version". It will not work with 2.6.24.
> As
> recommended, please use recent 2.6.34.x kernel from kernel.org.

Thanks, that helped but I am planning to install Xenomai as well
on that box and I hope I'll find a matching patch. :-) Anyhow I
will try to get a vanilla kernel working first.

> > $ make cuImage
> > $ make: *** No rule to make target `cuImage'.  Stop
> >
> > dtc compiler was apparently not installed:
> >
> > Hence:
> > $ sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler
> > And
> > $ dtc -I dts -O dtb -o lite5200b.dtb lite5200b.dts
> >
> > Which gave me a lot of warnings like:
> >
> > Warning (reg_format): "reg" property in /soc5200 at f0000000/cdm at 200 -
> >   has invalid length (8 bytes) (#address-cells == 2, #size-cells ==
> 1)
> > etc.
>
> Don't waste your time with that old kernel version.

Fine, the latest version did build the cuImage with:

$  make cuImage.lite5200b

But I was unable to boot that either. All sorts of traps or errors.
I am not really keen to pursue that further.

> >> and copy this file to the boot location.
> >
> > OK, but the board has a uboot installed that may not support the dtb
> > (1.1.4) and I might need a cuImage boot file?
>
> Yes, but I'm not sure if cuImage is building and working properly for
> that board. The better solution is to update u-boot.

I managed to update uBoot and was able to run in RAM even though it may
not be designed that way.
I was able to issue the bootm command and the kernel loaded. I could see
Nfs connection being made to the nfs server but there was no console
Messages at all.

fdtaddr=600000
dtbfile=/tftpboot/lite5200b.dtb
kernel_ram_addr=800000
bootfile=/tftboot/uImage
net_nfs=tftp $(fdtaddr) $(dtbfile);tftp $(kernel_ram_addr) \
$(bootfile);run nfsargs addip;
printenv bootargs;bootm $(kernel_ram_addr) - $(fdtaddr)

It did load the fd but stopped after the 'uncompressing OK'
message.

> If
> you are lucky, the cuImage is building and working. I can't tell.

I builds but does not boot properly. I changed Load Address from 0x40000
to 0x0 as well but that did not help also.

I would really like to stay with the recent kernel image but that seems
to having problems talking to the console. It stops talking after the
Msg:

Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

bootargs=console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=192.168.1.171:/opt/eldk/ppc_6xxx
ip=192.168.1.244:192.168.1.171:192.168.1.2:255.255.255.0::eth0:off

Thanks very much for your patience

Peter