[ELDK] RE : How can I build agin the toolchain ? (ELDK)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 30 21:50:27 CEST 2010

In message <m2vd7zh7nj.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:

> > My problem is that my processor does not support virtualization
> > technology. So i cannot use kvm. Is there any other way to setup the
> > required build environment ?
>
> Well actually QEMU does not need kvm to run, it only runs faster using
> it on the same architecture.  You should even be able to run QEMU
> emulating an Intel CPU on a Power Architecture machine :)
>
> If you have hardware which is still supported by RH-7.3 you can of
> course do all this in a non-emulated environment just as well.

With certain restrictions (which usually don't play any role when just
a normal ELDK rebuild is needed) you don't even need to run Qemu;
unpack the RH-7.3 build environment in a directory on your host, and
chroot into it. If you are running on a 64 bit machine, run it under
linux32, i. e. try something like this:

	$ sudo linux32 /usr/sbin/chroot /work/eldk_build

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The important thing about being a leader is not being right or wrong,
but being *certain*.                    - Terry Pratchett, _Truckers_