[ELDK] [RFSB] permission denied problem when adding dropbear key files to custom section

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 19 00:13:07 CEST 2010

Dear Detlev,

In message <m2y6fh9nyc.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> Unfortunately "the right thing" to do would be to set the file
> attributes in the filesystem creation process itself (i.e. in
> mkfs.<filesystem>) independent of the attributes in the staging
> directory.

...or set the permissions as needed, except for the ownership.

> As this is not even supported in the tools we use, currently I can only
> suggest either to run rfsb with superuser rights, or to open the file
> permissions at least for reading for the user running rfsb.

As long as this is the only problematic case, it might help to add the
option '-U' (Squash  ownership  of inodes added using the -d option,
making them all owned by root:root) option to the call of genext2fs -
of course this will cause other problems when other applications in
your image require any files to be owned by any specific non-root
users.  But you cannot have everything at the same time, it seems. At
least not for free.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I'm what passes for a Unix guru in my office. This is  a  frightening
concept. - Lee Ann Goldstein, in <3k55ba$c43 at butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>