[ELDK] Building U-Boot

stefano babic sbabic at denx.de
Mon Nov 8 23:17:29 CET 2010

Am 08.11.2010 19:00, schrieb Nate Jozwiak:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> $ bunzip2 < u-boot-1.2.0.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
>
> $ cd u-boot-1.2.0

This is very old...

> So I pull up the Makefile in the root directory and sure enough, there is no
> rule for a taishan_config. So I downloaded the latest version of U-Boot
> (2010.09) and tried with that.

Good idea. Better to start with the current version.

> [njozwiak at localhost u-boot]$ make distclean
>
> [njozwiak at localhost u-boot]$ make taishan_config
>
> Configuring for taishan board...
>
> [njozwiak at localhost u-boot]$ make all
>
> make: ppc_8xx-gcc: Command not found

It seems you have not correctly setup the ELDK. Have you set the
CROSS_COMPILE variable ?

$ echo $CROSS_COMPILE
ppc_4xx-

> I wasn't sure why it was trying to build with ppc_8xx-gcc, but I thought I
> got lucky with the new version at least having a taishan config. So I open
> up the Makefile in the root directory and again... there is also no rule for
> taishan_config.

Yes, rule was changed. You see the taishan in boards.cfg

> The Makefile doesn't even contain the text, "taishan".

Makefile does not require anymore to have the _config rules. Definitions
for each board are set in boards.cfg

> However, there is a taishan folder under ../u-boot-2010.09/board/amcc.

The taishan is compiled clean without problems on my PC. Check how to
start with ELDK:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKUsage

Anyway, this should be enough:
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx-
$ make taishan_config
$ make

> My path includes the following, which are the locations of the ELDK
> installation.
>
> - /opt/eldk/ppc-4xx/usr/bin
>
> - /opt/eldk/ppc-4xx/bin

Path is ok, but you need to export at least the CROSS_COMPILE variable.

> So my question is: how do I configure and build U-Boot for the AMCC Taishan
> board? It appears to be trying to build with ppc-8xx which is not correct.
> It needs to be pcc-4xx. What am I missing?

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/Manual?stickboard=taishan

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de