[ELDK] Do not use -Os option - enable-target-optspace not set

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Nov 15 12:34:32 CET 2011

Hi Khalid,

> Hi All,
>    I was trying to build kernel 3.x(git://git.denx.de/linux-denx.git).
> Below are the errors I got when I tried to compile the kernel.
>
> khalid at khalid-VPCS13S9E:~/ctbuild/linux-denx/linux-denx$ make
> ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- uImage
>    CHK     include/linux/version.h
>    CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>    CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>    CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>    CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl_chk.sh
>    BOOTAS  arch/powerpc/boot/string.o
> cc1: error: Do not use -Os option if --enable-target-optspace is not set.
> make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/string.o] Error 1
> make: *** [uImage] Error 2
> khalid at khalid-VPCS13S9E:~/ctbuild/linux-denx/linux-denx$
> powerpc-linux-gcc -Os -S -o /dev/null -xc /dev/null
> cc1: error: Do not use -Os option if --enable-target-optspace is not set.

This is a known problem for the ELDK 5.0 release[1][2].

> For configuration, I was using 85xx/tqm8548_defconfig file.

You should note that the 8548 does not have a regular floating point but
an SPEv2 unit.  This is currently not supported by ELDK 5.0 or 5.1.  The
latest usable release ist ELDK 4.2 using ppc_85xxDP-.

On the other hand we're working on support for this so expect an update
on this soon.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/eldk/2011-October/001997.html
[2] http://www.denx.de/wiki/ELDK-5/QuestionsAndAnswers

--
[Linux] yield itself is a  design failure in almost all of its aspects.  It's
the poor mans  replacement for  proper async  notification.  [...]   At least