[ELDK] Ubuntu 12.04 and ELDK 4.1

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 25 16:19:38 CEST 2012

Dear "Dmitry S. Vasilchenko",

In message <CA+N3AcnKp33kYCmcUBFzOs=DCqeAcxjpGFedO4QrsZpdUckNfg at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Since I have met the same problem with ELDK 4.2 and Ubuntu 12.04 and
> was able to fix (or at list WA) it, hope that this information might
> be usefull.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do here, but please note
that this method to run the ELDK tool chain is almost always wrong.
Please stick to the documetnation provided in the manula, i. e. set
CROSS_COMPILE correctly, and then use ${CROSS_COMPILE}gcc to run the
compiler.

> build at build:/opt/eldk$
> /opt/eldk/usr/ppc-linux/bin/../../bin/powerpc-linux-gcc -o test main.c
> Success!
>
> It is possible to run compiler directly (not via a symbolic link "gcc").

Of course this is possible, and using "gcc" is actually pretty
dangerous.

> 2. Further investigation revealed, that a symbolic link with an
> absolute path is OK:

I don;t know what you are trying to do but for all supported modes of
operation this is NOT needed!

> So, concluding: the WA to fix ELDK compiler on Ubuntu 12.04 is to

ELDK 4.2 works just find in Ubuntu 12.04, without modifications.
Just follow the documentation and use the supported ways to use it,
then all this should not be needed.

Bye the way: ELDK 4.2 is really obsolete; we are at ELDK 5.2 now (and
actually ELDK v5.2.1 is on the verge of being released).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Everyting looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it's  just
another job.                     - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_