[ELDK] installing 5.6

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 28 20:16:14 CET 2015

Dear Richard,

In message <54C915BC.5070407 at graphitesystems.com> you wrote:

> > I should have read this thread to the end.  You are right again, and
> > although my previous quick&dirty patch is good enough to build a
> > Linux kernel, this one needs fixing, too.
> It's not good enough for some kernels.  As I mentioned earlier, at least
> the port I'm trying to use, (looks like all powerpc's, actually),
> overwrite those variables at the Makefile level so the env versions are
> never seen.

I tested current mainline with two different configurations (using
mpc5200_defconfig and mpc85xx_defconfig).  Both build fine with just
sourcing the env file, un-setting LDFLAGS, and running "make" without
any specific command line options, i. e. just

	-> make mpc85xx_defconfig
	-> make -s -j8 uImage

In which way is your kernel different?  where does it throw errors?

> No worries.  Long time GNU person here with 6 years OE experience.
> Haven't mucked with yocto.  Happy to have found your prebuilt binaries
> for my current project.

That's what they are made for :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
       There is enough for the need of everyone in this world,
       but not for the greed of everyone.     - Mahatma Gandhi