[U-Boot-Users] RAM vs. ROM version of PPCBoot

Ken Chou kchou at istor.com
Tue Dec 3 20:13:09 CET 2002

Hi,

Why RAM version?
Mostly, the convenience is the main reason.

We use COP/BDM debugger during the development.
It is quicker and easier to use RAM version instead of burning the flash
in every turn of the firmware change.  (Just think that you don't have
FLASH and have only one-time PROM.  This might not be the limitation for
most of us today.  Yet, it might be true in some cases.)

It is natural to have RAM version during the development phase since the
final code is moved out of FLASH and runs fro DRAM.
The DRAM controller and the other initialization steps are done by
debugger.   There is no reason to hung up on the reset vector and always
start from 0xfff00100.  The PC can be changed by the debugger.

I used this method when I just started learning PPCBoot in the 1.1.6
time.
It is pretty useful since I did not have Ethernet and flash routine
working at that time yet.

Whether the RAM version should be checked into the CVS?
It is up to the maintainer to decide.
It might help some that just started U-Boot and without a good way to
program FLASH in the beginning.

I see there are a few board use "CFG_RAMBOOT" flag.
My guess is that someone did the same thing as I did.
Cut an intermediate RAM version in the beginning and move on to the
FLASH version when the code is stabilized on the custom board.

Ken Chou

ROM
> and
> > RAM versions of ARMBoot have to differ.
>
> Ummm... you don;t need a "RAM version" at all.
>
> > Now, I plan to download PPCBoot into the RAM of a TQM850L via gdb
and
> run
> > from there. Gdb init the target processor inclusive address decoder.
Can