[U-Boot-Users] CVS Write Access to Das U-Boot

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Mon Nov 4 18:30:54 CET 2002

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:59:33PM +0100, Marius Groeger wrote:
[...flamewar deleted...]

Ok folks, calm down everyone. I think that we have to find a solution
which is acceptable for Wolfgang as well as for The Sysgos (TM). The
situation is not easy, we all know that things havn't been developing
optimally in the past, but having an unified tree now as a base for
future work is definitely a beginning.

Looking from outside, I think the main arguments are these:

- Wolfgang definitely has the most knowledge about the project. Him
  having the best overview about the design, I can understand that he
  wants to stay in control about what goes in.

- Marius and Rob, being the ARMboot maintainers, naturally had the same
  "rights" on "their" project in the past and don't want to change this.

IMHO the only reasonable way is to _start_discussion_ on a u-boot
developers' mailing list, so that larger design decisions are done only
after having them discussed on the list. At the moment we only have a
users' list. I'm thinking about something like the RTAI development
model.

I understand that Wolfgang wants to avoind that code-that-doesn't-
follow-The-Plan goes in, but you should take into account that if such
things have happened in the past it was at a time where there _was_no_
team of developers behind the project who had to agree on a common
solution.

Would it be a compromise when Wolfgang gives write access to Marius and
Rob and they promise to do major changes only after having them
discussed on the list?

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4

    Visit us at the SPS/IPC/Drives 2002 in Nuernberg!
   Hall 5, Booth 154 +++ Please contact us for details.