[U-Boot-Users] Re: MPC5200 Lowboot config

Victor Wren vwren at timension.com
Wed Dec 3 23:03:12 CET 2003

I'm having some trouble with the lowboot config on the MPC5200LITE.

In looking through the configs, I notice, where TEXT_BASE=0xFF000000
#define ENVADDR=CFG_FLASH_BASE+30000

Since the u-boot image goes from FF000000 to FF035250, this would
appear to drop the environment inside the u-boot code.  This is apparently
confirmed by the fact that when I do saveenv, u-boot will not come up
anymore.  (this is without setting any environment variables, even).

When I write a virgin copy of u-boot to the flash, the addresses at FF0030000
appear to hold something other than environment values.  After saveenv, they
hold environment variables, and everything after the values is filled with
zeroes (and u-boot is dead).

Is there a particular reason for having the ENV below the end of the u-boot
image?  Is there a better place to put it? Possibly the beginning of the next
sector (0xFF040000)

Victor Wren

Victor Wren
Designer,
Timension Inc.
1350 C Pear Ave
Mountain View CA 94043
(650) 564-9397
Fax: (650) 564-9398
Opinions stated in this letter are not necessarily
those of Timension Inc. or the management.  All
Rights Reserved.  No spitting.