[U-Boot-Users] Re: MPC5200 build

Victor Wren vwren at timension.com
Fri Dec 5 21:29:27 CET 2003

> In message <3FCF4E36.29131.FBD698 at localhost> you wrote:
> >
> > > ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx/
> >
> > D'oh!  That works!  I've got it booting BusyBox.  What threw me is I was
>
> Congrats :-)
>
> > BSP tree.  Didn't think to look for ramdisk.  Next stop:  IDE.  It LOOKS like
> > there is support for the internal IDE in the kernel config (MGT 5xxx?)...
>
> In Linux? yes. But don't try enabling DMA (yet).

So far, it looks like it's working good (without DMA :-).  I've been able to
mount an ext2 partition under a directory in the ramdisk.  One odd thing I've
had is that I can't seem to use a compressed uImage since I added the IDE
config.  If I gunzip the vmlinux.gz and use mkimage to create an uncompressed
uImage, I can upload it to 100000, change kernel_addr to 100000, and run it
just fine with flash_self (I have the initrd in flash at ff180000).

If I use the SAME vmlinux, and create a gzipped uImage, it starts to boot,
then has a fatal error while trying to uncompress the image (this happened
with the image that was created with "make uImage," which is why I started
monkeying around to begin with.)  Oddly, though, the gzipped uImage file I
made wasn't exactly the same size as the one "make uImage" made -- different
gzip versions?  "mkimage -l" seems to like the image, so the header is okay.

I can't help but think that this has something to do with the size, since
there's not much else that gunzip cares about.  The "stripped" uImage is
670072 (0xA3978)  bytes compressed (I don't remember the uncompressed size,
but I think it was about a meg and a half), and the IDE-enabled image is
785281(0xBFB81) compressed, and 1887000 (0x1CCB18) uncompressed.

Could the gunzipper be running out of allocated space?  I certainly have
enough flash to store an unzipped kernel image, but I don't like mysteries.
On this processor, too, it takes only a split second to unzip the kernel, so
boot speed isn't an issue.

In looking around for memory allocation defs, I did find a typo in
cmd_bootm.c:
#if defined(CONFIG_MPC5XXXX)

Every other reference I've found refers to "CONFIG_MPC5XXX"

Thanks again!
Victor Wren