[U-Boot-Users] Re: U-Boot for Motorola M5272C3 and M5282EVB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 8 22:58:12 CET 2003

Dear Bernhard,

in message <3FD4EE66.6080301 at metrowerks.com> you wrote:

> I have to admit that the coldfire u-boot port was a
> quick-hack intended as prototype that at least was
> usefull for me :-)

This is exactly what I though when I saw the code ;-)

> Unforntunatly i'm not involved in any Coldfire related
> development at the moment and pretty busy with other
> projects, so i won't have the time right now to sort
> out the issue you have discovered.

Understood.

> But i will at least try to provide some usefull
> comments for each of the items listed below, so that
> other Coldfire/u-boot users can start cleaning things
> up, so that the patch will be free of any licencing
> or technical issues. In this context, please feel
> free to redistribute this mail to whomever you think
> it might be usefull for.

I re-sent it to the U-Boot-Users mailing list so others interested in
this stuff can pick up from what we have now.

> Although certain files are even holding PPC assembly
> instructions, or other obviously PPC related routines,
> the bootloader will still compile and work (IMHO
> pretty well) for the coldfire because the appropriate
> code will not be compiled (ifdef'ed out) or is just
> dead code in the resulting binary.

This is what I imageined, but the code init's current form is a mess.
It needs to be cleaned up before I'm willing to check it in.

>  > Please provide a doc/README.Coldfire which explains this procedure.
>
> I will add appropriate notes to the existing coldfire specfic
> installation instruction when the cleanups have been finished.

Thanks.

> To be serious: as the file name of the patch indicates, it
> was intended to be applied for u-boot-0.4.0. I didn't have
> done anything on it since then ...

Well, actually there is very little difference between applying  your
patch to U-Boot 0.4.0 or 1.1.0 ...

> As indicated above: i can't afford to spend time on the cleanup work,
> right now, sorry. However, if somebody is volunteering to do the
> necessary cleanups, then i will try to assist her or him as good
> as possible.

OK, so we're looking for a volunteer to cleanup the  open  issies  of
the Coldfire port now.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the  precipi-
tate.