[U-Boot-Users] weird power-on reset problem

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Fri Jan 17 12:55:53 CET 2003

Read your 860 manual Chapter 12.  Three times.  The difference between a
power on reset (PORESET*) and a pushbutton (hardware reset or software
induced reset) involves reading the configuration off the data bus and
starting the clocks (PLL).

When power is applied, the processor reads the configuration, sets up the
PLLs, and lets them stabilize.  On a pushbutton reset, the processor does
NOT read the configuration and the clocks keep running however they were
configured when power was applied.

I would be very suspicious that your PLLs are not stabilizing in
time.  This would most likely be due to an unstable input clock or possibly
due to unstable or noisy power supply voltages.

 From the 860 maunual, Chapter 12:

"When PORESET signal is negated, the MODCK values are sampled and internally
latched. To ensure proper operation, the PORESET signal should be asserted
for a
minimum of 3 microseconds."

Question: Does your hardware ensure this?

"When a hard reset event occurs, the MPC860 determines its initial mode of
operation by
sampling the values present on the data bus (D[0Ð31])..."

Question: Does your hardware ensure the data bus lines are driven properly
until after the initial mode of operation is established?  Note that the
manual says the processor leaves the reset state after PORESET is released
_AND_ the PLLs are stable.  PLL instability could stretch your start up
time, causing problems.

Question: Is your RSTCONF* being driven properly?

gvb

At 02:50 PM 1/17/2003 -0500, bren at sjtu.edu.cn wrote:
>We have a very very weird problem.
>When we power-on our MPC860 board, u-boot will stuck
>before running in RAM. But once we reset the board
>with the "reset push button", everything will be fine
>as long as we DO NOT power-off.
>
>Obviously, there are some differences between power-on
>reset and internal hardware reset and those differences
>are where we make some mistakes.
>
>Can anyone help us?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Laudney Ren
>
>--
>An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less
>until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may
be legally privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. This e-mail and its files are intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and their content
is the property of Smiths Aerospace.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the e-mail
administrator at postmaster at si.com and then delete this e-mail, its
files and any copies.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned
for the presence of known computer viruses.