[U-Boot-Users] Re: Booting MPC8266ads kernel

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Tue Jul 1 13:31:30 CEST 2003

    Currie> I am trying to find anyone who has had success in using
    Currie> u-boot to boot an MPC8266ads kernel to give me a pointer or
    Currie> 2 in the right direction.  I have rsync'd the latest 2.4
    Currie> development kernel from penguinppc.org as it contains the
    Currie> appropriate drivers etc. for the board and have u-boot
    Currie> running on the board now.  However, when I tftp the kernel
    Currie> to the board and try to bootm, I get:

    Currie> Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

    Currie> and then no progress from there.  Looking through the users
    Currie> list and the README file, I noticed that the the bd_info has
    Currie> to be the same between u-boot.h and the kernel's appropriate
    Currie> header file; there is also some recommendations with regards
    Currie> to the "clocks_in_mhz" option and the synchronization of
    Currie> IMAP_ADDR and CFG_IMMR.  I have also built the kernel by
    Currie> hand using the system detailed in the u-boot README file,
    Currie> with the objcopy;gzip -9; mkimage, all to no avail.  If
    Currie> anyone has any insight in this regard, I would very much
    Currie> appreciate it.

Hi,

I use Linux on older MPC8260ADS and the newest PQ2FADS (which is next
generation of MPC8266ADS). I use modified Debian with home-made drivers
and not penguinppc kernel. It looks like in you kernel there is either
serial console (SCC) initialisation problem or memory mapping
problem. These things are board specific and you don't write what your
configuration is. `bdinfo' output and your memory mappings would be
helpful (for example, check that internal RAM is mapped correctly,
penguinppc startup code uses hard-coded address 0xF0000000 instead of
checking bdinfo.) In new kernels you usually don't need to set
`clocks_in_mhz', but again it depends on your time handling functions.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel