[U-Boot-Users] Debug symbols for start.S

Mark Doherty mdoherty at arca-technologies.com
Fri Jul 25 16:12:05 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have a problem which is causing me some headaches during my porting
exercise, I am currently porting u-boot from the ep8260 to our own hardware.
I am lucky enough to have not one but four Abatron probes however my problem
seems to lie with gdb.

I have compiled the u-boot code straight out of the box so to speak, so I
haven't changed anything strange, however when I load gdb with the elf file
I find that gdb cannot find the start.S file, it prompts the following:

$ ppc_82xx-gdb u-boot
GNU gdb 5.2.1
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=powerpc-hardhat-linux"...
(gdb) target remote bdi:2001
Remote debugging using bdi:2001
0x00000100 in _start ()
(gdb) list
1       {standard input}: No such file or directory.
        in {standard input}
(gdb) list strc
strcat  strchr  strcmp  strcpy
(gdb) list strcmp
48              bne     1b
49              blr
50
51              .globl  strcmp
52      strcmp:
53              addi    r5,r3,-1
54              addi    r4,r4,-1
55      1:      lbzu    r3,1(r5)
56              cmpwi   1,r3,0
57              lbzu    r0,1(r4)
(gdb)

The strange thing is that the ppcstring.S routines and others seem fine, I
was hoping someone else has seen the same problem? Any help would be very
much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Doherty