[U-Boot-Users] Kermit + minicom + u-boot

Xianghua Xiao xxiao at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 9 05:56:50 CEST 2003

Richard,

I'm using kermit+minicom+uboot fine all the time. you can try to
configure minicom to call kermit directly. here is what i did:
1. install ckermit on a linux machine(on RH machines, you can find RPM
for direct installation)
2. when you configure minicom by "minicom -s"(you have to be root),
2.1 go to 'File Transfer protocols",you will find two lines commands for
kermit, replace the default "%l" by "%f", e.g. change /usr/bin/kermit -i
-l %l -s to /usr/bin/kermit -i -l %f -b %b -s YUYNN, another line could
be /usr/bin/kermit -i -l %f -b %b -r NDYNN
2.2 go to  "Serial port setup" and configure your serial port and
baudrate there.
2.3 go to "Modem and dialing", erase the strings after A,B,K, i.e. make
these three lines empty
2.4. go to "save setup as dfl"
2.5. go to "exit from minicom"
3. make sure your serial port devices are 'rw' to non-root users
4. as a non-root user, run 'minicom' again, and boot up u-boot and get
the u-boot prompt inside minicom
5. under u-boot, when you want to do a binary download, for example, you
do something like:
   u-boot>loadb 1000000 ramdisk 115200
       //now you can do Ctrl-A-Z, then press 'P' to choose the download
baudate to 115200(if you're not using 115200 as your default baudrate),
then do Ctrl-A-Z, and press "S", scroll down to 'kermit' and press on
it, you will be presented a browser window to choose any file you want
to download via kermit.
6. after the download, you do "imi 1000000" to check the integrity for
the downloaded file.

this is the procedure we're using at motorola, and it works fine.

regards,

xianghua
PowerPC System Enablement