[U-Boot-Users] Booting Linux from hard drive

Mark.Lightfoot at sita.aero Mark.Lightfoot at sita.aero
Tue Jun 17 19:01:47 CEST 2003

Wolfgang,

I think I understand the solution.  But I'm not sure.

Are you saying.  Create a partition which is not formatted with a file
system and whose sole purpose is to contain a kernel image.  Then, modify
the diskboot
command to read the contents of that partition into memory and execute.

Regards,
Mark.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Mark Lightfoot - Software Designer - SITA
777 Walker's Line, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1
905-681-5575
mark.lightfoot at sita.aero
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

                      Wolfgang Denk
                      <wd at denx.de>             To:       Mark.Lightfoot at sita.aero
                      Sent by:                 cc:       u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                      wd at denx.de               Subject:  Re: [U-Boot-Users] Booting Linux from hard drive

                      06/16/2003 05:32
                      PM

Dear Mark,

in message
<OF2C06A494.5C13BDD5-ON85256D47.0073E4F0-85256D47.0075138E at sita.aero> you
wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a method to have U-Boot boot Linux from a hard drive
on
> a PowerPC architecture?

You have to adapt the existing IDE/ATA code so it can  talk  to  your
IDE  controller.  Then  you  can use the "diskboot" command to load a
kernel image from a disk partition.

> I'm in the process of completing a port of U-Boot to the Motorola
PrPMC800
> which is uses a PowerPC MPC7410 processor.   My goal is to have U-Boot
boot
> Linux from a hard drive instead of from flash.  I've just completed the

Works fine on a couple of boards already.

> PCI/IDE support for this.  I thought I could have U-Boot load Lilo or
Grub.

What the h*ll do you need lilo or grub for? You got U-Boot!  :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The sooner our happiness together begins, the longer it will last.
             -- Miramanee, "The Paradise Syndrome", stardate 4842.6