[U-Boot-Users] Generic ARM Error with respect to usage of r8 in start.S's.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 24 23:07:27 CEST 2003

In message <FD2AC9A020DDD51194710008C7089B20053D4CB2 at dlee17.itg.ti.com> you wrote:
> Let me restate my minor point hopefully more correctly. - gd/r8 is only used
> to reference things in the gd_t structure and its members.  Given the way
> things currently stand for ARM something like the following might work as
> well and free up a register and remove an assembly dependency:

But this is exactly what I want. The  "global  data"  pointer  (which
used  to  be  calles  "initial  data pointer") is meant for some data
which is needed globally (i. e. cannot be put on a stack) and may  be
used before the initialization of SDRAM.

The current implementation  of  the  init  sequence  is  not  in  the
philosophy of U-Boot. It may be changed. Maybe soon.

The design goal is to switch to C  code  as  soon  as  possible,  and
implement  as  much  as  possible  in  C  - including for example the
initialization of the memory controller.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I've got a bad feeling about this.