[U-Boot-Users] flash memory access

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 2 10:38:06 CET 2003

In message <000901c2e058$c149ac50$1400a8c0 at bodhi> you wrote:
> I was using the reference of 256 * 128K sectors from some other demo sorce
> code that came with the board.  But after looking at the datasheet for the
> device:
> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?family_id=624&family_name
> =Flash+Memory&part_id=1761

Aaaaargghhhh!!

You started asking about  "an  Atmel  chip,  32Megbyts,  256  *  128K
sectors"  (your own words, includinh the typo). You did not bother to
list the exact type, so we could only guess from the  parameters  you
quoted. Of course I assumed these were at least correct!

> There is no mention of any sectors on the chip, and the only way to
> re-program it (apparently) is to re-flash the entire thing.

I don't know how you manage to do this, but ALL of  your  information
is wrong.

The chip is neiter 32 Megabytes, nor 32 Megabits, but 512 k x 8 (512k
Bytes, 4096 Mbit).

The chips has neither 256 * 128K sectors  (those  would  have  to  be
virtual  sectors  anyway  :-),  but  your  statement  that  you  have
"re-flash the entire thing" is wrong either - it  is  a  Bottom  Boot
type with a dedicated 16 kB boot sector.

I am a bit surprised to see this chip in any  current  design,  so  I
would  not be surprised if in you rnext message you will tell us that
it is some other chip in fact.

You know, I understand when people post vague questions about  things
they  cannot  understand;  but looking up a chip type and reading its
spec is pretty straightforward, and  you  are  expected  to  do  your
homework.  Instead, you wasted my time.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A supercomputer is a machine that runs an endless loop in 2 seconds.