[U-Boot-Users] flash memory access

Reinhard Meyer r.meyer at emk-elektronik.de
Sun Mar 2 21:30:06 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McAvoy" <paulmcav at queda.net>
To: <u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] flash memory access

> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 08:38:07PM +0100, Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> > > I'm sorry.  I am confused here.
> >
> > THAT seems obvious ;)
> >
> > > When I boot the board, I am told by the ROM boot monitor (as well as
specs
> > for
> > > the board) that there is 32MBytes of flash memory.
> >
> > Really BYTES or is that BITS??
>
> Bytes
>
> > > flash chip with 32Megs available.  It is a Sharp LHF32K01.
> >
> > THAT Chip has 32 MegaBITS, aka 4 MegaBYTES
> >
> > So you either have EIGHT of them on that board, or you are still
confused

> There are 8 chips on the board.

Then you will have to figure out how they are arranged. It is likely that
they are arranged such that the FLASH is 32 Bits wide. So it could be two
banks of four chips in 8-Bit mode or 4 banks of two chips in 16-Bit mode.

That hugely affects how they will be programmed.

Why don't you give ALL the Information you have found out so far? This
messaging goes on for days, and every exchange seems to pull out some more
info out of your nose....