[U-Boot-Users] jffs2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 5 20:14:47 CET 2003

In message <200303051825.45791.h.schurig at mn-logistik.de> you wrote:
> > If you do so, you are better off by reading / writing the  raw  flash
> > WITHOUT any JFFS2 overhead.
>
> Depends on your circumstances.
>
> I for example want to be able to update my kernel over WLAN using "ipkg
> update" "ipkg upgrade". Therefore ipkg must be able to access the zImage via
> a filesystem --- and the bootloader too.

Oops? Where is the problem? Isn't /dev/mtd2 a nice filename?

> Maybe you could do run post-install script that copy the zImage to a
> mtd-character device that points to this partition, in this case you can life
> without JFFS2 support in the bootloader.

Either of us must be missing something.

If you dedicate a partition to hold the  kernel  image,  you  can  of
course  read  and  write it direktly, both in Linux and in U-Boot. No
fancy tricks needed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.