[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot general Suggestions

sebastien_barre at sdel.fr sebastien_barre at sdel.fr
Wed Mar 19 15:27:52 CET 2003

Hi,

I have two suggestion to U-Boot, the first is a little buggy printf
on some flash error. In the file env_flash.c in the function saveenv,
the return value of flash_write is not used affected the rc value
for print the flash error by the flash_perror

                 if (flash_write(env_ptr->data,
                                 (ulong)&(flash_addr_new->data),
                                                 sizeof(env_ptr->data)) ||

                     flash_write((char *)&(env_ptr->crc),
                                 (ulong)&(flash_addr_new->crc),
                                                 sizeof(env_ptr->crc)) ||

                     flash_write((char *)&obsolete_flag,
                                 (ulong)&(flash_addr->flags),
                                                 sizeof(flash_addr->flags)) ||

                     flash_write((char *)&active_flag,
                                 (ulong)&(flash_addr_new->flags),
                                                 sizeof(flash_addr_new->flags)))
                 {
                                 flash_perror (rc); <---- always Timeout
Error because initialize to 1.
                                 goto Done;
                 }

The second suggestion is for the SRAM initialisation (board.c ppc)for the
bd_info.
This is possible but only for the IP860, it should be useful to test
SRAM_BASE and SRAM_SIZE instead of CONFIG_IP860 for some other custom
board that have some SRAM (like mine).

                #ifdef CONFIG_IP860
                                 bd->bi_sramstart = SRAM_BASE;           /* start of  SRAM memory      */
                                 bd->bi_sramsize  = SRAM_SIZE;           /* size  of  SRAM memory      */
                #else
                                 bd->bi_sramstart = 0;  /* FIXME */ /* start of  SRAM memory      */
                                 bd->bi_sramsize  = 0;  /* FIXME */ /* size  of  SRAM memory      */
                #endif

Finally, I have some trouble to make work my ethernet port on my MPC860
(10 Mbps).
I have define CONFIG_SCC1_ENET and CONFIG_NET_MULTI and CONFIG_ETHADDR
CONFIG_IPADDR
CONFIG_GATEWAYIP CONFIG_NETMASK CONFIG_ETHPRIME CONFIG_HOSTNAME
and of course undefined CONFIG_FEC_NET but it still not found ethernet.
If anyone have the solution, that interest me !! :-)

Thanks

Cedric