[U-Boot-Users] Compiler optimizations and debugging

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 20 11:55:19 CET 2003

In message <5.1.1.6.0.20030320104504.00a81840 at dns.struinfo.it> you wrote:
> To make the step-by-step debugging easier with GDB/DDD, I removed the
> optimization flag "-Os" from the config.mk file. In fact, with the
> optimization turned on, the code seems not to be executed sequentially
> inside code window. However, without the -Os flag, the linker is unable to

Well, the _optimized_ code _is_ exectued sequentially. But you cannot
expect that a sequence of lines of  C  code  results  in  a  strictly
sequential  sequence  of  machine  instructions. The potimizer will -
ummm - optimize the code.

> Why is the -Os flag absolutely necessary?

Because  otherwise  inline  functions  are  not  expanded.  See   the
documentation for GCC.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Given a choice between two theories, take the one which is funnier.