[U-Boot-Users] Re: Debugging U-boot after relocation

llandre r&d at wawnet.biz
Thu Mar 20 19:08:18 CET 2003

Hi Vladimir.

I've just read a your message about the debugging after relocation, posted
last month. I encountered the same problem when I worked with ARM
processors with the GCC cross compiler. In this case I solved the problem
placing all the relocated code in specific sections. These section must
have proper VMA and LMA that are set in the linker script.
For example here is a piece of the script I used:
SECTIONS
{
         [...]
         .text   0xcf00000  :   AT ((LOADADDR ( .fixed_text ) + SIZEOF (
.fixed_text ) + 4  - 1) & ~ (4  - 1))
         {
                 _stext = ABSOLUTE(.);
                 PROVIDE (__stext = ABSOLUTE(.));
                 *(.text*)
                 *(.gnu.warning)
                 *(.gnu.linkonce.t.*)
                 *(.init)
                 *(.glue_7)
                 *(.glue_7t)
         } >  SDRAM
         __rom_text_start = LOADADDR (.text);
         _etext = .;
         PROVIDE (__etext = .);
         [...]
}

What do you think about it?

PS: I was writing this letter when I received your answer about the
compiler optimizations: thank you very much for the suggestion.

llandre