[U-Boot-Users] Flash not-readable??

erik.teose at exgate.tek.com erik.teose at exgate.tek.com
Tue Mar 25 01:14:15 CET 2003

I am also in the process of trying to get u-boot up and running
on an IBM Ebony board (PPC440GP). I am also having problems,
but not the same ones that Brian is having. First, some comments
on email to this point:

> > <-------- 1a Working board start ----------->
> > U-Boot 0.2.0 (Feb 20 2003 - 09:46:32)
> >
> > IBM PowerPC 440 Rev. C
> > Board: IBM 440GP Evaluation Board (Ebony)
> >         VCO: 800 MHz
> >         CPU: 400 MHz
> >         PLB: 133 MHz
> >         OPB: 66 MHz
> >         EPB: 66 MHz
> > I2C:   ready
> > DRAM:  I2c read: failed 4
> > I2c read: failed 4
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You do have some problems here.

I get exactly the same result:

U-Boot 0.2.0 (Mar 24 2003 - 14:26:30)

IBM PowerPC 440 Rev. C
Board: IBM 440GP Evaluation Board (Ebony)
        VCO: 800 MHz
        CPU: 400 MHz
        PLB: 133 MHz
        OPB: 66 MHz
        EPB: 66 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  I2c read: failed 4
I2c read: failed 4
128 MB
FLASH:  4.5 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
KGDB:  kgdb ready
ready
BEDBUG:ready
=>

A problem with u-boot on the ebony, perhaps? Anyone else out there
running u-boot 0.2.0 on an ebony?

> > FLASH:  4.5 MB
>
> 4.5 MB is obviously 2 banks.

The ebony board has one AM29F040B part in U60, which gives 0.5 MBytes,
and two AM29F016D parts in U55 and U58 which give 4.0 MBytes. Both Brian
and I are working with the single AM29F040B part (as far as I know, having
followed Brian's postings). This part is the bootrom for the board, and
originally contained IBM's "openbios" bootrom monitor.

Now for my problem. U-boot appears to boot properly, given the output that
shows
up on the serial console (see above). But then the console appears to go
dead; no response to
carriage returns on the keyboard. Has anyone else run into this problem; any
advice?
Thanks.

Erik Teose