[U-Boot-Users] RE: start / load addresses for initrd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 25 19:17:59 CET 2003

In message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNCEBNCKAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:

> Once again - I'm making progress on bringing up Linux
> on a custom 405GPr board using u-boot.

...which is not exactly the topic of this list.

> First - I got my serial console working in Linux.
> I did not have to use TLB's or BAT's to map
> the memory addresses of the UART to properly initialize it.
>
> I simply commented out the initialization that is done in
> /drivers/char/serial.c for the serial console.  The initialization
> that I did in u-boot was sufficient.

I don't think that was a good idea. Basicly it means that you did not
understand what's going on,  which  is  not  a  good  base  to  build
embedded systems on.

> At this point I am trying to get the ramdisk working.  The
> reason I am posting to this list is that I am not sure of the
> command line kernel options for initrd and the ram disk.
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0

Command line options look ok to me (at least for a  first  test;  you
might want to add "rw" later).

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> RAMDISK: incomplete write (ramdisk too small?) (-28 != 32768)

Where did you get this ramdisk image from? What makes you think it is
working at all?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.
	-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1