[U-Boot-Users] u-boot size

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 27 00:52:03 CET 2003

In message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNEEDHCKAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:
> Anyone have and estimate as to how many lines of code
> are in u-boot, or about how many person-years it would take
> to do it from scratch?

The first part of the question is simple:

If you count all *.S, *.c and *.h files you get: 474537 LOC.

The second part of the question is more difficult.  What  exactly  do
you  mean? How much manpower went into the PPCBoot / U-Boot projects?
How much it would take to do it again,  with  today's  knowledge  and
experience,  but  without  looking at the code? To get exact the same
state, i. e. support for all the 100+ boards?

The project is about 2.5 years old now. I guess (and this is  a  wild
guess)  that  about 25 man years went into the U-Boot / PPCBoot until
now; to redo it from scratch, I guess you'd need 2...5  man-years  if
you could select at your liking from all the developers who worked on
it; if you cannot do this, I think it would take 5...10 man-years.

A wild guess, as I said.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"If you want to eat hippopatomus, you've got to pay the  freight."  -
attributed to an IBM guy, about why IBM software uses so much memory