[U-Boot-Users] Create initrd tool without being root?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 28 09:25:31 CET 2003

In message <3E83EF1D.4050509 at asu.edu> you wrote:
> I thought someone on this list recently mentioned a tool dor creating initrd without
>   being root.  I couldn't find it i the archives.  Can someone help me?

The ELDK (in current versions) uses the genext2fs to build  the  SELF
ramdisk  images.  For  example, you can check out the "spec" file for
the SELF RPM from our ELDK build environment und manually go  through
the tsteps. Or just follow the usgae message:

	-> genext2fs
	Usage: genext2fs [options] image
	Create an ext2 filesystem image from directories/files

	  -x image                Use this image as a starting point
	  -d directory            Add this directory as source
	  -f file                 Add nodes (e.g. devices) from this spec file
	  -b blocks               Size in blocks
	  -i inodes               Number of inodes
	  -r reserved             Number of reserved blocks
	  -g path                 Generate a block map file for this path
	  -e value                Fill unallocated blocks with value
	  -z                      Make files with holes
	  -v                      Print resulting filesystem structure
	  -h                      Show this help

	Example of spec file:
	drwx            /dev
	crw-    10,190  /dev/lcd
	brw-    1,0     /dev/ram0

	Report bugs to xavier.bestel at free.fr

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing."   - G. Steinem