[U-Boot-Users] Trouble booting Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 31 09:09:16 CEST 2003

In message <DEA23DB61B62D4118B5900508B323B84010554F2 at OPENMAIL> you wrote:

> IP addr     = 192.168.240.241
> baudrate    =   9600 bps
> No initrd
> ## Transferring control to Linux (at address 00000000) ...
>
> At this point, the device hangs. Can anyone see anything obvious that I'm
> doing wrong ? Am I loading to the correct address ?

Did you make sure the bd_info structure matches?

Did you make sure that "clocks_in_mhz" is not set?

> ** Finally, I don't know if this is related or not, but I can get a working
> system with an nfs root filesystem. However if I compile in an "initrd"
> target, I have trouble when the Linux kernel uncompresses the RAM disk
> image. It appears as though there is some kind of big/little endian problem

This is a completely wrong cocnlusion.

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> CRC error
> Freeing initrd memory: 1328k freed

This is already reason to suspect you are passing bad  parameters  to
Linux, i. e. you have a bd_info mismatch.

> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 01:00: rw=0, want=150994949, limit=8192
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 01:00: rw=0, want=167772165, limit=8192
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 01:00: rw=0, want=184549381, limit=8192
> ...etc.

If your ramdisk is really bigger than 4 MB, pass a ramdisk= parameter
to the kernel; otherwise (and this is my guess) you are  passing  bad
params,  probably  because  you  are  using a non-matching version of
bd_info.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You see but you do not observe.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes"