[U-Boot-Users] Little endian

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 28 14:49:31 CET 2003

In message <Pine.CYG.4.55.0311281315120.3560 at sniper.ultra.si> you wrote:

> Thanks for the notice. Does anyone recommend any document about how data
> is physicaly stored on the hard drive ? I came across documents describing

The Linux filesystem code? ;-)

> FAT16/FAT32 but not how an actual file (the data) is stored in clusters.
> Is a file data always spread troughout clusters continuosly or can a file

No, or your disks would be full very soon.

> be spread around multiple group of clusters, say one part of file starting at
> 1 to 50 and the other part continuing at 100 to 120 ? Note that I am very new

It can be spread over many different clusters and groups of  clusters
- that's what they call "fragmentation", and for waht DOS filesystems
recommend to use defragmentation tools to speed up file access.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Old programmers never die, they just become managers.