[U-Boot-Users] Re: [Question About NAND BOOT In SMDK2410

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 29 09:49:39 CET 2003

In message <71555548814716479478431542AA5F8A058D14 at dlee2k98.ent.ti.com> you wrote:
> There are a few processors which actually can "boot" from NAND.  The
> OMAP161x is one such processor.  It has hardware NAND support for ECC and
> fetching this along with some microcode in an internal mask ROM (on chip)
> can load up and execute code contained in Nand for boot.

So you are booting from an internal ROM in fact (which is similar  to
the NAND Flash Boot loader contained in the s3c2410x processors).

I know this is nitpicking, but I feel it is essential to use  precise
terms.  Ortherwise  one asks a question (I want to "boot" from device
XXX) and the answer uses different deinitions  of  the  teerms  which
renders it useless.

This is especially true when using such an  all-embracing  term  like
"boot"  or  "bootstrap  loading"  -  where  does  it  start (when the
processor fetches the first instruction?) and where does it end (when
U-Boot prints it's interactive prompt? when a boot  loader  loads  an
operating  system  and  passes  control to it? when the OS starts the
first application code? when the OS has completed starting all system
services and enters multiuser mode? or what?) ??

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
One possible reason that things aren't going  according  to  plan  is
that there never was a plan in the first place.