[U-Boot-Users] U-boot with environment in flash now won't use serial console under Linux

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Fri Apr 2 10:42:23 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I've recently successfully changed U-Boot such that it's environment is in
flash (on the PPChameleonEVB board). However, now when I boot the kernel I
get no serial console. The serial console works fine under U-Boot up until
the time it transfers control to Linux, at which point I get nothing.

However, if I switch back to the original U-Boot, I *do* get a serial
console (this is with exactly the same kernel). This (to me) tends to point
to some problem with the way I've changed U-Boot.

I've modified the 'evb405ep_early_serial_map' function in
arch/ppc/platforms/PPChameleonEVB.c so that it prints out the parameters
passed in the bd_t structure, and these are identical in both cases (at
least, for the members of the structure that this function uses).

Can anyone offer any advice as to why I'm no longer getting a serial
console? Linux is booting up fine (I can telnet into it), but I'm just not
getting a console.

The changes I've made in include/configs/PPChameleonEVB.h are as follows:

CFG_MONITOR_BASE from 0xFFFC0000 to 0xFFFD0000
CFG_MONITOR_LEN and CFG_MALLOC_LEN from 256k to 192k

Changed the definitions for the environment from

#define CFG_ENV_IS_IN_EEPROM    1       /* use EEPROM for environment vars
*/
#define CFG_ENV_OFFSET          0x100   /* environment starts at the
beginning
#define CFG_ENV_SIZE            0x700   /* 2048 bytes may be used for env
vars*
                                   /* total size of a CAT24WC16 is 2048
bytes *

#define CFG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH     1
#define CFG_ENV_ADDR            0xFFFC0000
#define CFG_ENV_SIZE            0x10000

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Andy