[U-Boot-Users] 440GX PHY/MII access

Carl Riechers criechers at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 15:46:41 CEST 2004

If you are using address zero for the PHY you will
have problems.  The 440GX seems to use this address
for diagnostics.  I could not find any documentation
on this.  I have a simular configuration with only
eth2 and eth3.  If you are using the Marvel PHYs, make
sure you hardware reset them per the specification
otherwise the soft reset will not work correctly.

The author of the code was most likely using a
different brand of PHY and needed to reset the PHY to
have access to certain registers.  The code
reconfigures the selected MAC to interface with the
serial bus to the PHYs.  Each MAC has a MII serial bus
master, but only one can drive the MII serial
interface to the PHYs though the bridge.

Carl