[U-Boot-Users] Configuration System

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Fri Apr 30 18:00:19 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 05:39:54PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20040430150734.GB2216 at mars.ravnborg.org> you wrote:
> >
> > In the Linux kernel today we lack a good way to select individual boards,
> > the only mechanishm is the _defconfig hack where a default config
> > file is selected, scrapping all options previously used.
>
> But this is an  excellent  way  to  get  a  known  to  work  standard
> coinfiguration  for a certain board. If you modify it, you can always
> save your customized config file to any place you likeand resume from
> there by simply "cp <some_file> .config ; make oldconfig".
>
> What exactly is the problem you are complaining about?
Just as simple as keeping a few generic options
(add -g, debug spinlocks, enable premept) but changing boards from
rpxcllf to rpxlite.

And at the same time have a good textual description availbale for
the board which I am going to select.

"This is a variant of the XXX board, with additional 2 Megs
of Falsh, and the Ethernet port moved from FCC1 to FCC2."

This is becoming off-topic so lets stop that until something is
ready for u-boot. Then we can take it in the right context.

> For me, the following topics are important:
>
> * clearness and readability of the resulting  code  /  config  files;
>   this  includes  having  all  relevant  information  for  one  board
>   concentrated in very few well known files.

I will not say current .config in the kernel are 'readable' as such,
it's just a bunch of defines seperated by a few headlines.

> * effort needed to add a  port  to  a  new  architecture,  processor,
>   and/or board
> * continued reliable support of all existing boards
> * build speed (I have to routinely run MAKEALL for _all_ boards,  and
>   this takes much too much time already)

	Sam