[U-Boot-Users] Question about new board directory layout

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 3 20:29:24 CEST 2004

Dear Jon,

in message <1091550526.15394.281.camel at blarg.somerset.sps.mot.com> you wrote:

> Right now, code has been developed for two new boards
> from Freescale: the 8555CDS and the 8541CDS.  These
> are the first introductions for a series of new boards
> in the "CDS" family.  There are future variants of new
> boards within this family that will be introduced later.

Please  decide  if  you  prefer  to  have  a  "board/CDSxxx/"  or   a
"board/freescale/CDSxxx/"  board  directory. [I would probably go for
"board/CDSxxx/"]

>     BOARD     CPU MODULE  CORE        WHEN
>     --------------------------------------
>     8555CDS      8555     E500        NOW
>     8541CDS      8541     E500        NOW
>     85??CDS      85??     E500        PLAN
>     86??CDS      86??     74xx(E600)  PLAN
> However, I need to introduce a directory structure for the
> new Freescale family of CDS boards.  There is some amount
> of shared code that can be leveraged in these boards due
> to the carrier-card based architecture specifically around
> areas like the SDRAM, flash, etc. There is also board-specific
> code like init.S that must be present for each of the
> different cores.
>
> We would, of course, like to avoid duplicate code for the
> new CDS variants.  Do you have a suggestion as to how we
> should properly introduce a directory structure for the CDS
> family and the individual boards?

Have a look at what we're doing with the TQM8xxL/M modules.  In  your
case I'd probably go for something like this:

	board/CDSxxx/common/
	board/CDSxxx/8541
	board/CDSxxx/8555
	board/CDSxxx/85??
	board/CDSxxx/86??
	board/CDSxxx/????

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
War is never imperative.
	-- McCoy, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2