[U-Boot-Users] MAC address question...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 26 18:44:10 CEST 2004

In message <20040826161304.GB2506 at umax645sx> you wrote:

> I have question regarding this section. If interface is able to
> store mac address in its own eeprom then _no_ definition in enviroment
> should _ever_ exist. What does point "o" 4th mean? Do you really want to

No. For U-Boot the reference is always the  value  of  the  "ethaddr"
envrionment variable.

> allow U-Boot and (for example) Linux to boot with different mac address?
> Why?

Normally no user is supposed to touch  or  modify  the  MAC  address.
That's why it's value in the default configuration is read-only after
being  set.  It  gets set once during production (or automagically at
first boot) and then never changes.

Now _if_ you configure U-Boot to allow overwriting the setting,  then
you  are  supposed  to know what you are doing, and we will not limit
you. You may have a special purpose of doing  exactly  this.  If  you
don't like this, then don't do it.

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
      Bugs are by far the largest and  most successful class of
      entity, with nearly a million known species. In this res-
      pect they outnumber all the other  known  creatures about
      four to one.  -- Professor Snope's Encyclopedia of Animal