[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot DHCP request does not time out.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 30 21:54:56 CEST 2004

In message <6.1.2.0.0.20040830104654.03a57ec0 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> I have question about U-Boot and its BOOTP/DHCP client capability.
> We are using it to get the dynamic IP from DHCP server and it looks like it
> never times out if the network cable is not connected.

Which processor / board is this? Normally U-Boot will report an error
and time out if it cannot send ethernet packets  (at  least  this  is
what it does on all boards I can test).

> Our target has network connection as well as USB2.0 connection so we do not
> want it to hang just because it could not get a valid IP. Can I make it
> time out? Or is it better to let Linux handle DHCP stuff after it boots?

If it hangs this is an error in U-Boot which must be fixed no  matter
if you can or want to use DHCP in Linux.

> I'm currently using U-Boot-1.0.

There is no such version.

Is the same problem present in the current version (i. e. top of tree
in CVS) ?

> If anybody has a pointer to how to setup DHCP client stuff properly in
> embedded Linux, I'd appreciate it.

Ummm... where exactly is the problem? See Documentation/nfsroot.txt

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
He is truly wise who gains wisdom from another's mishap.