[U-Boot-Users] flash question

Stefan Roese mail at stefan-roese.de
Sat Dec 4 20:39:12 CET 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 20:18, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> I'd recommend to use blocks normally, but secors for one block (using
> one or more sectors to store the  U-Boot  envrionment).  For  such  a
> configuration, CFG_MAX_FLASH_SECT = 47 would be correct.

Yes. But keep in mind: If you sometime want to use bigger flash's with more
sectors (blocks) you will have to increase this setting!

> > No! You have to configure the maxmium sector count with this define (and
> > _not_ the sector-size!). Most of the time I set this to 256. This should
> > sufficient for most flash's.
>
> Stefan: as you can see, this is actually a bad advice, as it would be
> wrong here.

OK, since we use these SST flash's alway in block mode I forgot about the
sector mode.

By the way: Erase time is not a real issue with the SST flash's. Even chip
erase is done in a few ms.

Best regards,
Stefan