[U-Boot-Users] Re: What does the Kernel get from U-boot ?

George G. Davis gdavis at mvista.com
Wed Dec 22 06:23:02 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 08:06:32PM -0500, Federico Lucifredi wrote:
> Hello Booters,
>    Just a quick newbie-style question: what is passed between U-boot
> and the kernel? Just the bootargs env variable or is there any other
> (more intimate :-) relationship between the two? What I am asking is,
> what does the kernel get from U-boot aside from the location of the root
> filesystem? I guess the answer is 'nothing', but if it turns out there
> is more, I'd like to know =)

If it gets nothing more than the cmdline, that alone is a lot since it
allows flexibility of booting the kernel in a variety of different ways,
e.g. what to exec as init; MTD flash, NFS; ramdisk based root among others;
what to use as console device; changing MTD flash partition layouts;
memory size; etc.,. Other parameters passed into the Linux kernel from
U-Boot vary by architecture and board. For that, see the README, source
and, perhaps, http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/WebHome.

--
Regards,
George