[U-Boot-Users] U-boot and booting linux image from IDE device

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 2 21:17:40 CET 2004

In message <603BA0CFF3788E46A0DB0918D9AA95100A097305 at sj580004wcom.int.lantronix.com> you wrote:
> Hi - it appears as u-boot is working great for our board!

Congratulations.

> I read the README on installing Linux, and cannot find a section on how
> to get u-boot to boot from an IDE device/

Maybe you should read the manual?

> Is it possible for u-boot to boot from an IDE device?

Yes, of course. Or from a USB Memory  stick.  Depending  on  what  is
supported for your board.

> If so - is the target the same as the target built my "make uImage"?

Yes.

> How is the IDE device setup (i.e. partitions, and location of kernel
> etc...)

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/UsingPCCard - don't  worry
that  the manual is talking about PCCards there; the same is true for
any other device that  is  accessable  through  the  "ide"  or  "usb"
commands - like a harddisk

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The only person who always got his work done by Friday
                                                 was Robinson Crusoe.